Building a PC - then & now

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Wed Jan 13 17:16:55 CST 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 13, 2016, at 3:01 PM, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Errrrr...Heathkit is long gone.
> >
> > However, there are at least a few car guys that might have a thing or
> > two to say about the original post.
> >

> I agree.  Kit cars are still around.  ;-)
>
> I don’t know about how easy it would be to build a TV (from
> scratch…something
> Heathkit didn’t do BTW…tuner was pre-assembled and “tuned”) given that the
> over-the-air signal is now a digital signal vs analog (ie I can’t recall
> if there’s any
> encryption involved that would require decryption keys).
>
> TTFN - Guy

Certainly, but the OP seemed to be referring to the historical context of
the construction of so-called "personal computers", especially 8-bit
machines.  And just to stretch the point a bit, amateur radio operators
were building and using slow-scan TV systems in the 1970s.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."