Preferred way of substituting TFT for CRT Monitor?

tony duell ard at
Fri Jan 15 07:18:53 CST 2016

> I have got a HP 9000/217 machine with a standard video card. This card has a monochrome
>  composite output (resolution is as low as about 512x400, but I might replace it with a higher
>  resolution card). A small 9" HP monitor that I used for testing only shows me 2 or 3 bands
>  of the image and cannot capture the signal properly.

What is the exact model number of the video card?

I am assuming it's an HP98204 of some flavour. The HP98204A uses (US, RS170) TV rates and
can be connected to any composite monitor that expects that. A lot of TVs (rather than monitors)
in Europe can accept that and have composite inputs still, perhaps on a SCART socket.

However the more normal video card in the 9000/217 (aka HP9817) is the HP98204B. This does
have a composite output but at rather odd rates. There was a specal 'HP' (actually a Samsung
chassis, and it shows!) monitor for this. I thinkl finding somethng that will lock to the video output
of that card is going to be 'interesting'

Do you have the original HP monitor? If so, what model is it?


More information about the cctalk mailing list