Non-baking cure for sticky shed? (being serious for a moment)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Jan 18 10:33:06 CST 2016

On 01/18/2016 04:39 AM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
> I know that tapes have different coatings, so some are ferrous and other chrome based, but what about the backing and "glue" that holds the two together?

There was a tape sold by a few manufacturers (I think 3M's
was called Black Watch) that had a coarse black matte finish
on the back side.  A problem with some drives which had fast
rewind speeds was that air was trapped in the tape wind, and
then once a bunch more layers of tape was wound on the reel,
the tape wrap would cinch and fold over a piece of tape.
This matte finish was supposed to cure that, and I think it
did.  But, that finish was not as durable as the magnetic
coating, and would start to shed all over the drive, leaving
stuff on the data surface.  I think about 5 years after the
stuff came out, most data centers searched out and trashed
all these tapes.

Jon