HP 9000/382 Questions

Rik Bos hp-fix at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 25 09:29:14 CST 2016

> A picture of an example tape
>
> http://petelancashire.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=5246
>
> -pete

Pete,

Those are DC100A tapes used in the HP 98X5 series computers.
The programs are not compatible with the 9000/300 series.
I couldn't see the tape number on the label but I think it's a 9825A/B tape written in HPL.
Instrument software on this kind of tapes I've seen was written for the 9825.
You'll need a HP 9825 to read this tapes and copy them to a disk (8"  HP 9895A).
The tapes are very fragile, 90% the belts are stuck to the tape.
And you need to warm the tape to about 50-60C to get the belt from the tape without peeling of the magnetic layer.
After that the belt needs to be reconditioned (see my earlier mail) and the tape may be needed to be baked (several hours in an oven at 55-60C).
After that you have only a few (1-6) passes to read the tape, before it becomes badly readable.
Replacing and removing the drive belt will need some practicing (I've done it).
When the programs are copied to disk it's possible to read them on a HP 9000/200 series computer with HPL for the 200 series.
http://hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=169
Which will not run on the 9000/382 or other processors higher/later than the 68010.

-Rik