What to Do with a PS/2?

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Mon Jan 25 13:57:24 CST 2016

This brings back memories. One place I worked used a IBM "Industrial" PS/2.
It's main board was the same as a regular PS/2 don't remember the model. We
were buying so many of these things IBM set us up as reseller. Still have
the "Authorized Reseller" sign somewhere in the basement. These things were
not cheap, remember something like 3 times the price of the regular model,
but they were all the same parts in
a rack mount case.

But being IBM even though we never needed a keyboard, mouse etc. Everyone
came with one. Still have a couple of the keyboards, the only difference
all the industrial systems were a dark gray.

The big waste was the software, every system came with a PS/2 box with both
a CD and floppies, and an envelope with driver / firmware floppies. For the
longest time we could not throw out the software, we had in dock at one
time the whole top row of pallet racks where PS/2
Floppies, CDs, keyboard, mice, etc etc. And one day PS/2 was updated ...
something like 400 new copies of the O/S showed up on pallets.

I remember at that point the lawyers getting more involved and all the
excess disappeared.