"FIRST"??!? (Was: word processor history -- interesting article

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jul 6 18:46:46 CDT 2016

One thing that sticks in my mind are a fair number of S/360 manuals that
are obviously not typeset.  For example, here the FORTRAN IV from 1965/66:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/ibm/360/fortran/C28-6515-6_FORTRAN_IV_Language_1966.pdf

Given that the thing is printed in two justified columns per page in a
monospaced typewriter font, one can't escape the conclusion that some
sort of formatting/word processing was involved.

I haven't checked to see if this technique goes back farther than that.
 But it's a book and it's definitely been processed.

Anyone know what was used to do this?

--Chuck