word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jul 8 12:08:31 CDT 2016

On 07/08/2016 09:20 AM, Swift Griggs wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016, Liam Proven wrote:
>> WordStar commands for that operation would be: Mark beginning of
>> block: ^K B Mark end of block: ^K K (WordStar did not allow block
>> selection with the cursor keys.)
>
> AFAIK, original Wordstar didn't, but the Borland IDE and Joe does.
> Just hold down ctrl and start hitting cursor keys to cover the text
> you need to select. Badabing. You've got yourself a selection.

Wordstar allowed for "user routines" for various keyboard and display
functions.  I suspect you could have made any key or combination of keys
do all sorts of strange things.

After WS on the PC, I moved to Wordstar 2000.  A great product, but
utterly incompatible with WordStar (MicroPro provided a "Star Exchange"
utility with WS2K to handle conversions).  Different key combinations,
options, displays entirely.  But it did handle prop spacing fonts quite
nicely.   I still have the instructions from a third-party outfit on how
to make WS 3.3 handle prop spacing, but it's a real kludge.

Different WP packages had their own peculiar advantages.  North Star
Memorite, for example, had great footnoting.

--Chuck