'Bounces'

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Jul 10 18:59:16 CDT 2016

> Just re-subscribed to cc-talk.  I'm wondering if anyone has an answer
> on this - every now and again I get these warning emails about
> 'excessive bounces'.  I have to click a link and then they go away
> for a while.  But sometimes I get busy and forget.. and then the list
> unsubscribes me.  No idea what 'excessive bounces' means or what I
> can do to prevent it from unsubscribing.  Any thoughts?

I automated that.  One of my procmail recipes says

# Try to auto-reenable those damn suspended subscriptions
:0 cD
* ^Subject: confirm [0-9a-f]*$

auto-reenable-mailman is a bit large to include here verbatim, but here
it is after compressing with bzip2 and then encoding in base64.  It is
unlikely to be of use to anyone untouched, if only because it has a
path hardwired on line 2, but it may be useful to someone as a starting
point for scripting such confirmations.
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As for why it's happening, I've never looked very far for that.  In the
case of classiccmp, I haven't seen any problem recently, but that's
because I have a standing offer - which admittedly I don't advertise
much - to listowners and postmasters, to make list mail I would
otherwise reject silently vanish instead, and apparently Jay took me up
on it, because I find I'm configured to do that for classiccmp list
mail.  But, in general, I refuse anything that shows evidence of having
gone through gmail and most listowners aren't willing to do likewise,
so I don't usually have to look very far for a reason for having my
subscriptions get auto-suspended.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org