Connectors: Both contact surfaces must also be the same material?

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 20:50:32 CDT 2016

right on!

In a message dated 7/10/2016 6:46:28 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
elson at pico-systems.com writes:

On  07/10/2016 01:58 PM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 7/10/16 1:14 AM, Paul  Birkel wrote:
>
>> Almost every DEC System Unit ("backplane")  that I've ever seen uses
>> tinned-contacts, yet the Modules all use  gold-plated fingers.
>>
> I'm not near one right now, but there  should be gold plating on the
finger in the DEC
> connector block at the  point of contact with the pcb edge connector.
It's easier to
> see on  the VAX era blocks.

Absolutely.  The WW pins were  tinned, but there was
selective gold plating on the card edge contact  fingers.
It would take a strong light and magnifier to see it down
inside the connector, but you can rest assured the contact
was  gold-gold.

Jon