VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Fri Jul 15 02:12:18 CDT 2016

> On 15 Jul 2016, at 14:41, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Mouse wrote:
>
>>> Personally, given the mess of MultiNet, TCP/IP Services, and TCPWare,
>>> I wouldn't make that statement about networking *at all*.
>>
>> If you think of "networking" as being "IP-based networking", yeah,
>> probably.  But there's a lot more to networking than just IP.
>> Specifically, I was talking about DECnet, which was well done and
>> integrated from the ground up, not glued on after the fact.
>
> And I don't get this notion about lifting the network code out of Tru64
> since VAX/VMS had UCX (not my favourite network package) before the
> Alpha and associated OSF/1, Digital Unix, Tru64 Unix.  The candidate
> for lifting code would be Ultrix which got a lot of its heritage from
> BSD4.X.

Let’s say UCX had some deficiencies (being polite) and was replaced with TCPIP Services for OpenVMS. This TCP/IP stack was based on the code from Tru64 Unix (aka Digital Unix aka OSF/1) and used what was known as the basket to map the OpenVMS API to Tru64 and vice versa.

Disclaimer: I used to work for HP and was an OpenVMS Ambassador so might be slightly biased

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"