VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 10:13:51 CDT 2016

> On Jul 17, 2016, at 11:06 AM, John Forecast <john at forecast.name> wrote:

>> I suppose so.  Rumor had it that Phase I only existed on RSX, but it appears that there was a PDP-8 implementation as well.  Phase II was implemented on lots of DEC systems, from TOPS-10 to RT-11 to RSTS/E.  My initial involvement with DECnet was as the DECnet/E kernel guy, upgrading DECnet/E from Phase II to Phase III.
>>
> 	I worked at a customer site in Sweden which consisted of a pair of 11/40’s running
> 	RSX-11D and DECnet Phase I. I’m pretty sure that Phase I only ran on 11D in the RSX
> 	family.

I'd always heard that.  But recently I found Phase I documents, which include protocol specifications of a sort, sufficient to tell that it wouldn't be compatible with Phase II and couldn't readily be made to be.  (In particular, NSP works rather differently.)  And that document was for a PDP-8 OS.

Possibly it was built but not shipped, or designed but not built.  The document has the look of r a finished product manual, though.

	paul