Who Loves IBM Tape?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun Jul 17 11:41:03 CDT 2016

3480 is interesting technically because it was one of the first drives to use magneto-restrictive
read heads, which are much more sensitive than inductive. The 18 track head stack will work on a
conventional 1/2" tape transport, as will the 36 track heads from a 3490.

This is what is in the modified STC 9914V drives shown in this paper use:

http://storageconference.us/2008/presentations/3.Wednesday/5.Bordynuik.pdf

About ten years ago, I bought a dozen 3480's in Chicago, and took them up to my parents farm
in Wisconsin and stripped them down for the head stacks.

7340 Hypertape was developed for the Stretch project, and were mainly used by NSA.