VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 14:47:42 CDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> I recall that BSD was a great match for our 11/750.   Never did succeed
> at getting HASP+bisync going on it though.

Oh?  Which method/product were you trying?  I used to do that every
day with our own boards.  I had heard that some of our sales were due
to people getting frustrated with trying other solutions and buying
ours.

We definitely supported Ultrix + BSD (and Sys V) from the mid-80s.  I
did the work to add 3780 on Unibus for Ultrix to our product line in
1989 because an existing customer needed something for that platform
(we only ever sold that one, but the sale paid for the development
with a little left over).  Our largest Unibus machine was an 11/750
(though we had an VAX 8300 w/DWBUA, and an NMI-based VAX 8350 as our
largest machine, both purchased for supporting our VAXBI product
line).   I kept the 8300 and the 11/750 when the company closed down.
Had to leave the 8350 behind.

By 1994, I was probably one of a handful of people on the planet still
doing HASP or 3780 from a VAX.  By early 1995, out last customer
contract expired and nobody was left on support and we were 100% done.
There may have been a tiny number of sites still using it, but if
things broke, they never called.

-ethan