Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 09:54:53 CDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, ethan at 757.org wrote:
> Hmp. Well the Cray J932SE on there is legit :-)

The photo of that unit is entertaining. Whoever buys it will need to setup
3x 30A 220v outlets. That's going to make some licensed electrician very
happy.

I worked with a Cray for a while of about the same vintage (pre-SGI Cray
running UNICOS and using an Sun SPARC Classic as a helper). It was a large
telco (MCI) and used for fraud-detection on calling cards. It was a
UNICOS-based system in a private Colorado Springs datacenter about two
blocks from some sort of manufacturing site for Cray (the building is on
Rockrimmon in Colorado Springs - the former home of the late Seymour
Cray).

I thought the whole rig was interesting, but it was barely a few weeks
before the whole company went through a near-death experience (two words:
Bernie Ebbers) and I walked across the street to another company and
scored a new gig (it was the late 90's, you could do that sort of thing
then). I never got a chance to get really proficient with the hardware or
with UNICOS. It was my singular regret with that gig, though.

-Swift