Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:47:57 CDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
> Yes, and time dependent as well.  I grew up in Holland; in the 1970s, we
> had 3 phase in our house because we had an electric cooking range.

As you probably know, that's not usual the setup in North America, even
for folks with electric ranges.

> In the USA, if you're a home owner with a need for 3 phase power, you
> probably have to get a phase converter.  Fortunately those are not hard
> to get, and solid state ones (variable frequency motor controllers) can
> be rather inexpensive.

I've been responsible for bringing 3-phase into several new buildings.
I'd totally endorse a VFC in most cases (except that it's one more part to
break if that's a concern). The reason is that the lowest cost I've seen
in Colorado was $4500 and the most is $7000 from Xcel. I've *never* heard
of them simply saying "Oh your old transformer will handle that just
fine." YMMV

-Swift