Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 13:11:48 CDT 2016

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ... and as I mentioned before, they can break. So, even if your VCF will
> handle the load, your uptime requirement might be a dealbreaker if you
> have commercial intentions.

I wonder, though.  In modern machinery, a whole lot of them are run by VFCs as a matter of normal practice.  That includes very large ones; I recently read an article about replacing large DC motors by AC VFC-powered ones.  I forgot exactly how large, but I'm pretty sure they were over 1000 hp, driving factory machinery, perhaps rolling mills or stuff like that.

I wouldn't run my $100 little VFC in production, but I expect that the more expensive ones from serious companies like Yaskawa or Allen-Bradley will do just fine.

	paul