LASERS! && Freemont Street LED array (was Re: Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now))

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jul 19 15:02:08 CDT 2016

>> Light show hobby.

You'd probably know, then - what's the fastest way to deflect a laser
beam?  In particular, I'm wondering how practical it might be to take a
laser and turn it into a vector display on a handy blank wall - but
that requires some very fast acceleration of the spot, probably faster
than mechanical deflection can support (though if I'm wrong I'd love to
know it).  For example, does piezoelectricity make a crystal distort
enough to use it as an optical deflection element in such a scheme?
(My guess is no, but I don't actually know.)

I have SPARCstations with cg6s that I can use as vector displays, but
they are vectors converted to raster.  I'd like to do real vector - a
parallel port driving a couple of moderately fast D->A converters might
be able to do it; it might take something better, dunno.  But without
the deflection mechanism there's no point in even trying to design the
rest of it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org