LASERS! && Freemont Street LED array (was Re: Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now))

Wayne Sudol wsudol at freedom.com
Tue Jul 19 15:58:00 CDT 2016

Laser technology to draw things like this is used in photo typesetters. A
laser beam is focused onto a thin (about 1/2" thick)  many sided (about 8
sides i think) spinning mirror. Each facet of the mirror is cut differently
to deflict the beam up, down or center it on a sheet of moving paper or a
plate of sensitized aluminum. The more facets you have, the more 'cuts' you
can have and the beam can be deflicted more each time it hits the mirror.
The electronics is mainly used to control the timing/pulsing/power of the
laser beam hitting the mirror.  Using the same idea, a larger mirror could
be used to deflict the beam more and shine it on any surface.

 Think of the scene  in the Val Kilmer movie "Real Genius" where they
advertise a part using a laser beam.

Wayne Sudol
Riverside Press-Enterprise
A Digital First Media Newspaper