LASERS! && Freemont Street LED array (was Re: Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now))

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:00:41 CDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Mark Green wrote:
> I don't know a lot about data transmission, my main application is
> display.

Thanks anyway for the informed reply. Do you happen to know the best place
to view large format holograms? I'm just looking for your personal
opinion, since you seem to be in the know about such things. I've been
fascinated with holograms since I was a kid (ie.. the National Geographic
comment).

> The mathematics behind data transmission and display are similar, they
> are based on wave propagation and diffraction and lots of Fourier
> transforms.

FFT is a wonderful and amazing algorithm. It's akin to Diffie-Hellman in
it's magicalness, to me. Without it, imagine how poor (or non-existent)
some technologies would be!

> The laser power is not overly important, it's the resolution of
> diffraction pattern or hologram that you produce.  It's a very redundant
> coding scheme, so part of the signal can be lost and you can still
> recover all the information.

Hmm, I'm guessing holograms have their own redundancy methods. I've seen
Reed-Solomon matrices for such things, but that's the only one I know
about. People write their Ph.D thesis on such things, so I'm not even a
hobbyist, just an admirer of such tech.

-Swift