How to open a SUN CDROM drive box?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 09:58:44 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Mattis Lind <mattislind at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am probably too stupid to not understand how to get into this box:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/7KXKP2l.jpg
>
> Before I break some parts of the old plastic I better ask...
>
> What is the procedure to open this up?

There are a couple of locking tabs on the sides in the back corner.
You poke at them through the holes in the outer shell.  They look
decorative.  Two of them are not.

Once you depress one, lift lightly on that back corner and it should
move up 1mm-2mm.  Do the other corner and the back of the lid should
tip up towards the front.  It has some large plastic tabs on the front
edge that act as a hinge, then it pops off, exposing the innards.

> The drive doesn't seem to work properly. Either I need to get it working
> somehow or replace it with a new (512 byte block capable) drive.

Could be a lot of things, but a new drive would probably solve most
problems.  It also depends if the problems are on the SCSI side (won't
respond, is at wrong unit number, etc.) or the optical side (can't
read any media) or in between (can't eject caddy...)

-ethan