formatting and checking floppy disks for bad sectors

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Sun Jul 31 07:13:01 CDT 2016

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016, Fred Cisin wrote:

> So, what is optimum for you, might not be what is optimum for somebody with a
> weirder use.

 Sure, there'll always be outliers, no argument about that.  I described
what has been solely my personal experience (which I hope nobody is going
to question), which just happens to coincide with a common use case (cf.
the elevator algorithm used by some OSes for block device accesses), and I
gave a reference to a tool which lets one adjust their floppy disk format
to suit their needs and which some may find useful.  I'm leaving it up to
individual people then to make use of this tool or not, and if the former,
then how.  I'm surely not going to interfere with that in any way.

 FWIW,

  Maciej