AT&T 3b2 vs SCSI2SD drive replacement

pete pete at
Wed Jun 1 18:07:10 CDT 2016

On 01/06/2016 23:29, Swift Griggs wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2016, Josh Dersch wrote:
>> it can support multiple drives on a single board, pretend to be a
>> CD-ROM, etc, etc, etc. 4) It's considerably cheaper.
> That's an excellent feature that I'm sure would come in handy, especially
> if it can emulate a CDROM with a 2048 block size. That'd be super-helpful
> on an SGI, and would probably make the mind-numbing 'inst' operations take
> a little less time.

AAT.  2048 bytes is the common CDROM standard, used by PCs and their
ilk, whereas SGIs want 512-byte blocks on CDROMs.  Some SGIs/IRIX
versions (eg Indy and later, running IRIX 5.3 or later) will issue a
command to make the CDROM switch to 512-byte blocks instead of their
default 2048.  Most modern SCSI CDROMs honour that, but older ones may
have jumpers or PCB links that need to be set.

Pete Turnbull