thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep^M ?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jun 3 10:50:10 CDT 2016

On 06/03/2016 08:11 AM, Swift Griggs wrote:

> Sooooo much slower. When I'm forced to use an LPT port for
> transferring data on those old machines, I'd use Laplink. I was
> always disappointed with parallel port devices, because they never
> seemed able to reach the same transfer speeds as Laplink and other
> direct-cable software.

One reason is that parallel port devices were generally designed to work
along with other parallel peripherals on the same port, so they have to
watch their Ps and Qs.  LL/Interlink use the port as dedicated, so no
such worry.

Also, it depends on the peripheral and the PC.  "Nibble mode" transfers
are, in fact, pretty slow, but a PC with a bidirectional SPP port (such
as found on a PS/2) can improve things greatly, provided there's a
device capable of employing it.  ECP and EPP capabilities and
peripherals even more so.

cf.  IEEE 1284

--Chuck