11/[9]4 latest

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 6 10:17:20 CDT 2016

On 06/06/2016 10:36, Jerome H. Fine wrote:
> >Rod Smallwood wrote:

>>> I can't remember for sure, but I think there were eight SSDD (RX02)
>>> floppies
>>> plus an Auto-Install floppy.  That would have been for V05.06 of
>>> RT-11 which
>>> requires over 6,800 blocks for an RL02 disk pack.  Since some of the
>>> files
>>> get duplicated, eight seems about right.
>>>
>>> I doubt that V05.07 of RT-11 from Mentec was ever supported on RX02
>>> floppies.  The size of the binary distribution for V05.07 of RT-11
>>> is over
>>> 16,600 blocks on an RL02 disk pack of which over 9,000 blocks are
>>> DSK files (one of which is 7,000 blocks) which Mentec added to the
>>> V05.07 RT-11 distribution.
>>>
>>> Using RX01 floppies will take many more since there are only half
>>> the blocks
>>> or 494 blocks on a SSSD (RX01) floppy.
>>>
>>> Do you have any other questions?  I don't know of any RT-11
>>> distributions
>>> on RX02 image files for either V05.06 or V05.07 of RT-11. There may
>>> be some for earlier versions.
>>
>> The first one out of the box read 1/87  and its not the date.
>
> Can you provide a DIR of the first few floppies?  The names and
> sizes of the files will pin down which version of RT-11 if the
> actual dates were not correct.  Otherwise, the dates of the files,
> if they are correct, will specify the version of RT-11 if the dates
> are 1983 (or after) when V05.00 of RT-11 was released.  Before
> 1983, there were many updates, so there is more confusion.
>
> Internally, each SAV file has a version and each MAC file also
> has a version number which will also help identify the file aside
> from a BINCOM to compare two files.
>
> Jerome Fine
Hi Jerome

It a little difficult to do a dir when I have yet to get the drive I
would do it on working
So I'm just inventorying this box of 8" floppies.

There are a number (14) of clear packages with DEC original sets  in
They are marked
RT-11 ,  RT11 V4.5B  or RT11 V4.5C
Plus loose disks with RT11 utilities
and OS/8 disks
I do have a pair of RX01's but I am less sure about the controller.

Also available is a TK50 UNIBUS CONTROLLER not a TUK50 CONTROLLER as
sometimes described.

Rod