thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep ?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 8 12:37:56 CDT 2016

On 06/08/2016 06:50 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:

> Those were machines with 3.5" 720K as the only internal drives.
> Possibility of other kinds of drives externally. But, 3.5" 720K
> drives became available at that time (PC-DOS 3.20) as external drives
> and/or as internal for 5150/5160/5170.

The first (intimate) contact I had with 3.5 diskette drives was a
contract to do the BIOS for a Z80 luggable made by an outfit called
Preis.  I still have the BIOS, but not the machine.  The big advantage
was that one could fit two floppies and a hard drive in the same box
with the system boards and display.   IIRC, the floppies were the
half-height Sony OA32's; single-sided 66 track, 600 RPM.  (I'd have to
refer to my notes to be certain).  It was pretty nifty, but not
overwhelmingly so.

I'm not even sure that the product ever made it to market.

--Chuck