VAX-11/780 Board Set on eBait

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jun 10 05:02:46 CDT 2016

    > From: Devin Davison

    > It looked like a good batch of boards and i was holding out on finding
    > a machine.

I hope that "a machine" wasn't 'an empty machine to plug them into' - because
AFAICT the chances are that happening are basically zero. (People seem to
save either i) complete machines, or ii) just the boards - apparently not
realizing that without the backplane, etc, the boards are only useful as
spares.)

    > Any good place to get a 11/780 aside from watching the local scrap
    > centers with my fingers crossed one will be there?

For some reasons, /780's seem to be pretty rare. I suspect it's a case of
'they were mostly all scrapped long ago in favour of later models which were
faster and smaller' (we see the same thing in other lines).

Don't get me wrong, I truly do fervently hope that you do find one somehow,
but one has to be realistic, I think. (I'd love to have an RF11, but I'm
pretty sure they almost all went to the big scrap-heap in the sky many moons
ago; so I'm not holding on, waiting for one to appear - rather, I'm getting
on with the stuff that _is_ still here.) Sorry to be such a downer... :-(

	Noel