Strange ICS on eBay

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:51:52 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent Hilpert" <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: Strange ICS on eBay

On 2016-Jun-10, at 6:24 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> On 2016-Jun-10, at 6:19 PM, Ali wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone knows what these chips are for/from/etc.
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/152124208945
>> Interesting look to them. I would say EPROM but the magnifying window is weird...
>> -Ali
>
> Those are 4-digit 14-segment LED displays.

Siemens DL3416

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkGyWIuCIo

Looks like they may have the decoder built into them.
And 16-segment as mike says.

Yup, that's what they are, similar to the DL1416s used in the AIM65 and elsewhere.

A little more intelligent than just decoders & drivers; send it a 2 bit address and a 7 bit character and it'll store and display it (them) until cleared or replaced, easily cascaded for longer length.