Anyone have MULTOS/8 running on SimH?

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 03:04:50 CDT 2016

Hi Josh,
I don't know if this will help you, but a guy in Sweden made a PDP-8/I out
of a Raspberry Pi which he calls a PiDP-8/I with a custom made authentic
looking slightly smaller version of the PDP-8/I front panel.  The following
url describes the OS-8 he used on simh running on a version of linux on the
PI.
<
http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!pidp-software--documentation/c1btd

Maybe the OS-8 information on that site might help you.  I don't think I
have ever heard of MultOS-8, but I'd like to be kept in the loop on your
project and learn more about it.  I haven't bought my Pi 3 yet, but I'm
planning on getting it soon to finish my PiDP-8/I Kit and get it
operational.  I pray you can find everything you need and get logged into
your MultOS-8 installation.  Take care my friend.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com

Dersch
> Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:18 PM
> To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
> Subject: RE: Anyone have MULTOS/8 running on SimH?
>
> To follow up to my own post; I tried it again at home this evening, on my
Mac.  And it works perfectly.  My machine at work is a
> Windows box; I'm guessing there's something odd with the keyboard handling
for the Ctrl-H sequence on SIMH Windows but that's
> mere speculation at this point...
>
> So, problem solved... kind of.
> - Josh

[JoshD at LivingComputerMuseum.org]
> Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 4:24 PM
> To: 'General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts'
> Subject: Anyone have MULTOS/8 running on SimH?
>
> I'm investigating getting MULTOS/8 running on the 8/e here at the museum
and I thought I'd start by getting acquainted with it on
> SIMH.
>
> I've picked up the disk pack from Dave Gesswein's site here:

https://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/os8_html?act=dir;fn=images/os8/multos8.rk
05;sort=name and the manual here:
> http://www.pdp8.net/os/multos8/
>
> MULTOS as currently configured on the RK05 image appears to be set up for
two terminals and everything listed in BUILD looks to
> agree with respect to the SimH hardware configuration.  I set up a
password file per the instructions, and after I set the DATE, I do an:

> .R MULTOS
>
> And am greeted with:
>
>         HELLO !
>
> THIS IS THE MULTOS/8 MULTI-USER OS/8 TIMESHARING SYSTEM CREATED BY
COMPUTER METHODS
>            7822 OAKLEDGE ROAD
>            SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84121, USA
>            PHONE 801-942-8000
>

> PLEASE INPUT TIME IN 24-HOUR FORMAT
> (E.G. 0925 FOR 9:25 AM AND 1935 FOR 7:35 PM):
> 1601
>
> THANK YOU !
>
> THE SYSTEM IS NOW  TIMESHARING
>

> TYPE CONTROL/H TO LOG ON.
>

> At this point, the system becomes unresponsive; CTRL-H appears to have no
effect.   AC and MQ seem to be incrementing over time
> as the docs describe.
>
> I've poked around and in PARAM.PG, the address of TTY #2 is set to 32
(VT78?), rather than the 40 I'd expect.  I changed this and
> reassembled the JOBS device handler, and then used BUILD to rebuild the
system using it.  I'm still getting the same behavior,
> however...
>
> I have a bit of experience with OS/8 (but I'm not an expert) and nearly
zero experience with MULTOS, so before I start debugging in