Strange ICs on eBay

Ali cctalk at
Sat Jun 11 14:16:47 CDT 2016

> > Just wondering if anyone knows what these chips are for/from/etc.
> >
> > Interesting look to them. I would say EPROM but the magnifying window
> is weird...
> Those look like "starburst" displays:
> The window is indeed a magnifying lens. I ass-u-me that LED technology
> was still a bit naff back in the 1970s and it was more practical to
> optically enlarge the segments than make a chip with physically larger
> segments. This compromise produced an odd visual effect, which is
> likely why it's not done any more.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had never seen those before. There seems
to be a bid on them already so hopefully it is someone who want the display
and not the "gold".


More information about the cctalk mailing list