EVOX RIFA X2 capacitors

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 14:29:07 CDT 2016

On 12/06/2016 19:49, "tony duell" <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Explode?  Those are ceramics caps, right?  Are these the line inlet
>
> The ones I have seen are metalised paper and do have a deserved
> reputation for being antisocial. They split open and emit clouds of
> evil-smelling magic smoke.

Yep. Famous here in the UK for being used in every single Acorn BBC Micro
PSU (also ASTEC) plus a lot of monitors and TVs of that era. Classrooms all
over the land with that oh-so-familiar smell. Also my kitchen on Monday
night.

>> filter caps, or later on?  For line inlet, you need line rated caps, which
>> have quite high voltage ratings for good margin.  Apart from that, I
>
> IIRC, the 'X2' marking means they are designed to be connected across the
> mains (from live to neutral). A 'Y' or 'Y2' (which is designed so it cannot
> fail short-circuit) is used between one side of the mains and safety earth
> (ground).

According to my reading whilst not cleaning filthy Apple ][s that's correct.

> I suspect any known brand would be OK. I must admit I never buy components
> on E-bay, I go to somewhere like RS components or Farnell. They may be more
> expensive, but it is less of a gamble.

Exact modern replacements are roughly ukp2 each from Farnell which is half
the price of some ebay chancers, some other reading I was doing suggested
EVOX/KEMET or WIMA so that'll do me.

Cheers!

--
Adrian/Witchy