On Offer: MAI Basic Four Mini in Chicago

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 20:01:26 CDT 2016

It's that time of year when a young man starts to take stock of
reality (for better or for worse) and decides that his load must be
lightened.  This time the machine with on the block is an MAI Basic
Four deskside minicomputer.  I'm not sure of the exact model but it
can be seen in the first three pictures in this gallery:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102190732096693814506/HaulOf10315?noredirect=1

Note: nothing else in that gallery is on offer at this time - maybe
later.  However other random hardware may be thrown at you during the
transfer.

I have not powered it up.  I was told it was working when taken out of
service many years ago, but we all know how that goes.

I have some documentation for it that I will be scanning (some of
which is not already on Bitsavers) but I will send it along to whoever
takes the machine afterwards.  I do not have any disk or tape media
for it.

I'm not looking to get a lot for it - trades would be fine, preferably
for something that I can lift myself, however I am also looking for a
working DEC RX02 drive or a later IBM terminal controller (3174 or
similar) with Ethernet that I can use to run IBM real terminals on
Hercules.

Preference goes to:
   1) someone local who can haul it away.  I am not presently equipped
to deal with shipping anything this large.
   2) someone will will get it sooner rather than later
   3) someone who will make it sing again.

If you're coming to VCFMW in September, the storage unit holding the
MAI is just a few miles away from the hotel and we can do the loud-out
then.  If you're here sooner, even better.

-j