Mobile Web Site Technology to Revive Old Browers

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:30:28 CST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:39 PM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I noticed today that web sites that are screen width responsive and device
> independent are also "responsive" to really old browsers like Netscape 2.0
> running on a Windows 3.11 box.  The whole push to make web sites mobile
> friendly has had the unintended consequence of making Windows 3.11 web
> browsing a little more practical than before.  The only issue I found is
> with javascript, one has best results if turned off entirely.  Sites load
> pretty quick as a lot of the overhead if not transmitted by the server,
> perceiving the download is to a mobile or limited device.
>
> If you get the chance and run an older browser on an older OS my site is a
> pretty good example of a modern site design that works in Windows 3.11 /
> Netscape or Alpha / Mosaic etc.
>
> Bill

The only problem is that some sites are pretty much useless without
Javascript enabled.  Unless it's static content, there's usually some sort
of dynamic behavior, even in rendering.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."