ACE Key codes (xx2247 etc.)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Mar 5 23:31:49 CST 2016

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016, Jay West wrote:
> We're doing something a little more expansive than that.
> Fred did a great job of providing detailed fields which the web developer has looked at. If anyone has additional fields, let me know.

Well, as a hierarchical or relational database, the primary information
needed is the key blank, and the numbers of the cuts, such as SC1 7 4 1 3
6

(Some manufacturers have "rules" that I'm not familiar with, such as
"never put a cut deeper than 5 next to a cut shallower than 2", "never use
a cut deeper than 7 as the cut nearest the bow, or it may break!", and
some will always use even number depths on some cuts and odd numbers on
others. Such rules are necessary in designing a new key, but irrelevant
for making a duplicate or replacement)

At an additional level in the database, or separate databases, would be
the depth and spacing data for that blank and/or that usage of that blank,
specifically, the spacing from the bow (or tip in a few exceptions) and
the depths of the various standard cuts.

Further, a comprehensive database for machinists could lay out what the
milling is to be for each blank.  Key blank availability tends to be good
enough that that information would rarely be needed.