Options for resurrecting VAX 4000/400 and Vaxstation 3200

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Mar 9 17:19:54 CST 2016

> If it has a DELQA then you should be able to netboot it without issue. You
> don't need to set up DECnet under linux though. All you need is SIMH running
> DECnet (and possibly a cluster, I do it with a cluster, but I am not 100% sure
> it *has* to be a cluster). You just need a VMS ISO and you can get up and
> running.

It's the other way around.  Cluster communications is pretty much essential
and DECnet is not always required.

When you boot VMS over the network, the machine being booted normally ends up
clustered with the machine it is booted from.  The machine being booted can
then obtain disk services from the boot node or any other cluster member using
cluster communications.  DECnet is not strictly necessary for any of this
although it is recommended that DECnet be installed for the purpose of remote
management of cluster nodes.

Early versions of VMS need to have DECnet installed on the boot node because
DECnet includes support for MOP which is the protocol used for the initial
network boot request and response.  Later VMS versions include LANCP which can
also provide MOP support without the presence of DECnet.

You definately do not need DECnet on a host machine running an emulator.  You
don't need to install anything special to handle cluster communications or MOP
either.  Typically, the emulator will require the installation of some network
interface package that allows it to inject/extract the required protocols
directly to/from the network.

> > Yep, it's SMT, but replacing a 22 pin DIP shouldn't be a big deal with the
> > right tools and a bit of practice. But the console diags don't indicate the
> > faulty chip! :^(

Back in the 1980's, I successfully repaired my friends Jupiter Ace by replacing
the RAM chip which burnt my finger.  You probably won't get that lucky though.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.