Options for resurrecting VAX 4000/400 and Vaxstation 3200

Dr. Roland Schregle roland.schregle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 06:23:41 CST 2016

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 23:20:16 +0100, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Robert Jarratt
> <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have a 3200, nor can I find a manual, but since it looks to be
>> more modern than a 2000, and apparently supports an RD54, then I would
>> have thought the console firmware could format it. On the 2000 TEST 71
>> will check the disk and tell you what it is, TEST 70 will format it.
>> Perhaps you could try those commands to see if they also work on the
>> 3200.
>>

> Should be an M7620 KA650 CPU in a BA23 box with an M7168 / M7169 VCB02
> QDSS video subsystem. The storage controller should be an M7555 RQDX3.
>
> Manual available here:
> http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/hcps/154aaow1.pdf
>
> If you could swap a Q-Bus PDP-11 CPU and memory in for the KA650 VAX
> CPU then you could run XXDP ZRQCH0 diagnostics to format the RD54 on
> the RQDX3.

Yep, it's in a BA23 with a ridiculously dense Q-Bus. I considered
installing the KZQSA from the 4000 in the 3200, but the edge connectors
won't fit even after removing the panel, plus I read in the list archives
that the 3200 won't boot from it. :^(

There's a QDSS as you point out, but I haven't tested it yet; need a
splitter cable and one of those elusive VSXXX mice. Do have an LK201
knocking about tho.

Wasn't aware the XXDP diags run on a PDP...

--GT

--
"END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]
"... nowhere in the standards is it specified that 'programs that use a