Which RT-11 for an 11/03

js at cimmeri.com js at cimmeri.com
Thu Mar 10 21:02:51 CST 2016

On 3/10/2016 9:36 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
> Separately… John — the SLUs are at what I think are the standard
> addresses and vectors (per the Heathkit and DLV11-J manuals) and the
> ODT and TU58EM work. I don’t know what RT-11 is looking for but the
> console @ 177560/60 and TU58 @ 176500/300 (Channel 3 and Channel 0 in
> DLV11-J parlance). I have not tried booting SIMH with the TU58 image
> (not sure how to do that; need to work on it). Regarding getting a
> real RX01 or RL02, the issue for me is space. It’s pretty convenient
> using a laptop and TU58EM (providing I can get something other than
> XXDPD2D to work). If someone has already built bootable TU58 RT-11
> images, I haven’t found them yet.

I have doubts that taking an RK05 image, and copying the DD: bootstrap
in like that, and then simply taking that modified RK05 image and
attempting to boot it as a TU58... I'm not sure if that could work.
Just seems like there'd been some structural differences.  But I could
be wrong.

I forget if either SIMH or Ersatz emulates a TU58.. but if they do, try
making an empty tape container (I think TU58EM can do this) and then
build up and RT11 system as outlined in the manual using one of the
emulators.  Make sure it can boot in the emulator (if that's possible).

Do you know for sure if a real TU58 can even run RT-11?   Never tried it.

p.s.  you could also get yourself a qbus SCSI card, and have a much
smaller disk subsystem.

- J.