Options for resurrecting VAX 4000/400 and Vaxstation 3200

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:37:32 CST 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Dr. Roland Schregle

> Yep, it's in a BA23 with a ridiculously dense Q-Bus. I considered installing
> the KZQSA from the 4000 in the 3200, but the edge connectors won't fit even
> after removing the panel, plus I read in the list archives that the 3200
> won't boot from it. :^(

I just tried an M5976 KZQSA with an M7620 KA650, an M7624 KA640, and
an M7625 KA655 CPU. None of them would recognize the M5976 KZQSA as a
boot device.

I think you need at least an M7626 KA660 CPU or better to recognize a
SCSI CD-ROM attached to a M5976 KZQSA as a boot device, where it
should normally appear as DKA0.

The VAX 4000/200 M7626 KA660 CPU is the last VAX CPU which plugs
directly into a Q-Bus slot and you could in theory use it in a BA23
chassis, but wiring up the on board interfaces would take some work
without the cab kit for that. I've only seen one of those go buy on
eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151768446404