OT: lenses (Was: Front Panels - PDP8 and PDP 11

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 00:05:37 CST 2016

I  wonder if the tele tessar was a true  tessar   design  or  just a  use
of  'the name' ? I have seen   snipits in google referring to it being a true
telephoto...  with a true  tessar formula  lens  IS NOT.

ok  the  norm   for the hassleblad was a80 mm  f  2.8 planar...

in the rolliflex   the tessar was the entry level lens... the  planar  the
upgrade.

my  first  'real' camera was a 1933 rolliflex  with a   f3.5 tessar.   not
bad  at  all  but a little soft  wide open.
I still have  this  camera. and the low  shutter   speeds are a little
slow  but OTW   rest is   fine..
In  HD  I  bought an argus  c3   from my  geometry teacher  for   $8   and
used it a lot   more  shots  per  roll and  would operate  eye level  and
had a  pretty  good  split image rangefinder.. the   lens  was  decent too.

when I  went in USAF  sold   the  C#  to  my  brother but  kept the
rolliflex  (  wish I had   saved both! as  the argus  shot  some of  my   first
press  work)  adn  when in USAF   got a  SLR.

messages in the bin?   then  add  my address to  your  contact list?! the
address

In a message dated 3/10/2016 8:31:43 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
mgariboldi at gmail.com writes:

>  Hasselblad  did not use  tessar.  tesar was  a   good  lens  but
certainly
> not the hi end
>  ed#

Incorrect.  There were various, like the  *Tele-Tessar*, which appeared for
Hasselblad.

(By the way, your  messages usually end up in my   bin.  Just so  you
know...)

- MG

> In a message dated 3/10/2016  8:01:07 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> mgariboldi at gmail.com  writes:

> > > On Mar 9,  2016, at 11:37  PM, Paul Anderson <useddec at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > >  Popular or Modern Photography  20 or 30 years ago had an article on
the
>  10
> > >  best lens ever made. I think Zeiss made 3 of them, and they  were
the
> only
> > > company with more than one.
>  >
> > One of  my all time favorite lenses is the Hasselblad  80mm f/2.8
Planar C
> > lens  made by Zeiss.  Even their  low-end Tessar lenses are  awesome.
> >

> Anything  made for Hasselblad could hardly be called  'low-end'.  (A  bit
> like
> a 'low-end' SGI, there was basically never  such  a thing... certainly not
> in
> terms of original  cost.)
>
> The only  truly low-end Carl Zeiss optics are  probably the *Pentacon*
> series, made by  the post-WW II Carl  Zeiss Jena branch of the GDR.
>

> Take a look at  the  Sony a7 series of bodies, people are using RTS lenses
> on
>  >  them.  You can put almost anything on them, and they’re a  full  frame
> > sensor.  I know that the wider lenses might  have some  fringing issues
at
> > the  edges.
>

> Which (affordable) lens  *doesn't* have  imperfect edges, especially
> completely analog lenses without  any  in-camera digital correction.
(This