OT: lenses (Was: Front Panels - PDP8 and PDP 11

Roland Schregle roland.schregle at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 06:34:32 CST 2016

On 12/03/2016, at 12:54 PM, Marco Gariboldi <mgariboldi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have the Tessar on a 3.5B (aka MX-EVS). Excellent expect when wide open as
>> mentioned here, though I wouldn't call it entry level. I think Zeiss made
>> an earlier, sub-standard lens (Biotar ?) for Rollei before they could
>> deliver 75mm Tessars.
>
> Biotar sub-standard?  Germans happily used them on their film cameras,
> rather extensively during WW II.  I think you might be thinking of the Jena
> (GDR) Biometar instead, which later became known as Pentacon.

Hi Marco,

could have been the Biometar. I recall reading about it in Prochnow's Rollei Report, but I don't have that at hand now.

>> Somebody mentioned the Zeiss ZM line for Leica. Have the f/2.8 35mm Biogon
>> and the f/2 50mm Planar for my M3 and M2. These perform very close to the
>> original Leitz glass, but are at least affordable for mere mortals.
>

> Indeed and, more importantly, I'm very happy with my Biogon.  Plus, that
> blue orb also looks nice.

And it doesn't have those silly focussing tabs Leitz has on their lens. I much prefer a focussing ring you can actually grab. My lens are 2nd hand and black though, and so look a bit odd on the old silver Leicas. Been looking to replace them with silver ones, but they show up less often on eBay.

--GT

--
"END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]