NetBSD TK70 question

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Mar 17 06:34:53 CDT 2016

I'm not sure where I should start asking, so I'm starting here ;-)

I have a problem reading TK70 (and probably TK50) tapes in NetBSD 3.0 on a
MicroVAX II. There is absolutely no way of reading a single tape block
with a simple read(). All I get is
   mt0: unknown opcode 0x80 status 0xc01 ignored
on the console, and then the driver hangs. The output is generated in
/usr/src/sys/dev/mscp/mscp.c
It is my impression that the code has *never* been tested on real hardware
after all that years. BTW the TK70 is working fine otherwise (e.g. I can
boot the MVII diagnostic tape).
Now for something strange: the same procedure works in SimH (with the same
system installation and kernel). So apparently SimH has a "bug", too. It
doesn't behave like the real device.
Background of the story: I want to image TK70 tapes as TAP files.

Has anyone ever encountered the same behaviour?

Christian