PDP-11/05-NC with M9301?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:24:22 CDT 2016

> If one read notes in the PDP-11/04 printset it says: Do not insert a M930
> or M9302 in a MUD slot. Only in the Unibus slots or you will have short
> circuit. On the other hand it does not say that the M9301 (or M9312) cannot
> be installed in a unibus slot. It recommends that those boards go into MUD
> slots. But electrically I cannot see that it shouldn't work. Especially if
> you jumper W1 - W5.

Once I tried putting a M9312 into the backplane of my 11/05 NC.  The M9312
did not boot to the console monitor, but there should be a way to do it, I
just did not find it.   I have an expanded backplane.  If you look at the
M9312 or M9301 you can surmise that these are not going to do anything like
what the M930 does

M930:
http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-05/EM_8Kx16_Planar_Memory_companion_card.jpg

The M9301 is a ROM card, just like the M9312, one is an older model and
they're compatible roughly I believe.  I recall from the manual that one
could use the M9301 in an 11/05, but was not able pursue if it works yet
for my set up.  I will eventually check this, but if there is a test you'd
like me to try send and I will fire up the system.  I have the manual, I'd
want to read up on it first to be sure I am installing correctly.  Not sure
what ROM is installed on the card I have.
@ BillDeg:
Web: vintagecomputer.net
Twitter: @billdeg <https://twitter.com/billdeg>
Youtube: @billdeg <https://www.youtube.com/user/billdeg>