Code listings for the I4004 or I4040

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:51:22 CDT 2016

Eric
 The answer is no and yes.
You can not use the normal RAM instructions with the 4289. Still, one
can have RAM through the 4289. It would have no status RAM like the 4002s
but for a program that is written to use conventional RAM through the
4289, it has no more overhead than regular 4002s, for character RAM.
You'd setup a register pair as a pointer and a SRC, just like 4002s for
character RAM.
If you only need quick access of status RAM, you are stuck with 4002s
or, create your own circuits.
So, I wouldn't say yes and no, I think no and yes is the answer.
I did look up to see if 4008/9 recognize the RPM. The 4040 shows
WPM for both 4289 and 4008/9 but only shows RPM for the
4289. I take that to mean that the 4008/9 doesn't support the
RPM, even with the 4040 processor.
Dwight