help reading 9 track tape

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Mar 24 16:40:26 CDT 2016

Jon Elson wrote on Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:34:48 -0500:
> What density and format is this tape?  Not all drives
> support all densities.

I actually mentioned this detail to his advisor when they were
discussing this topic after his student's defense, but I don't think he
remembers this information. I am guessing that the tape was recorded
around 1986, so any new density introduced after that (if there were
any) can be ruled out. About the format, I have no idea.

Back when I used such tapes myself (Burroughs 6700 in 1981) this kind of
information would often be written on a label glued to the protective
case. I haven't seen this particular tape, so I don't know if there are
any hints there.

-- Jecel