ISO Xebec S1410A fw #104792 or 104793

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:25:59 CST 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> I just started cataloging and dumping firmware my SASI/SCSI disk and tape
> boards
> starting with Xebec. It would be nice to find images for the two alternate
> fw
> proms for the S1410A, particularly the 8k 104793 version so I can compare
> it to
> the one used on the S1420

Although they're not SASI or SCSI, while you're collecting such things, it
might also be nice to collect firmware from WD1000-nn and WD1001-nn
(numeric suffix) disk controllers with the 50-pin general-purpose host
interface, and which use the 8X300 or 8X305 processor with bipolar PROMs.

Some OEMs did use the WD 8X300/305 design with customized host interfacing,
including Radio Shack and Fortune.

The later WD100n-xx[n] (alphanumeric suffix) controllers for IBM PC and AT
buses use the WD1010 or WD2010 controller chips rather than an 8x300/305
processor, so they don't really have the same kind of firmware to be dumped
as the earlier controllers. Some of them do use a mask-programmed 8052,
numbered WD1017.