NCD19 / Xncd19

Ken Seefried seefriek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:58:32 CST 2016

From: Rico Pajarola <rp at servium.ch>

> Does no one have NCDWare 3.2.1 or earlier?

Nostalgia...I really liked the NCD 19 I used many moons ago.
Reasonably snappy at the time, nice mono screen, quiet.  Funny enough
I recently resurrected an NCD Explora 701 (much later MIPS-based
xterminal).  It's wildly faster than the 19 (with 10/100 enet instead
of just 10), but it's interesting to see how far modern X
implementation has diverged from NCDs time: 8-bit pseudo-color is a
showstopper for a lot of things, various desktops (Gnome, KDE, etc.)
break in strange ways if they run at all, lot's of contemporary code
has issues on 64-bit systems (like my old xview/olvwm code).  TWM
still works fine, as does the butt-ugly built in NCD Motif-ish window
manager.  Haven't had much time to work on it, but I'd like to get
something like i3 running.  I bet Mouse can add more color commentary.
Reminds me...need to see if I can still get the Mouse terminal
emulator to run.  Probably also need to get an SCO ODT or SVR4 VM
running for that old school feel.

I know I've got at least one 3.x release, but not sure which one or
what's in it.  FWIW, I've also got some 4.x, a 5.0.x and 5.1.x;
running 5.1.140 on the 700.  I'm in Dublin until next week so won't be
able to check until then.  Ping me directly if you don't hear from me
by, say, Thursday.

P.S. - If anyone has an NCD 700-series or HMX (esp HMXpro24) they
don't want, let me know.

KJ