Membership disabled due to bounces

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Wed Nov 23 19:00:11 CST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Michael Brutman <mbbrutman at brutman.com>
wrote:

> Gmail routinely marks these emails as spam.  And Gmail clearly says: " It
> has a from address in aol.com but has failed aol.com's required tests for
> authentication."
>
> Digging deeper into the header one finds:
>
> "Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
> sender) client-ip=199.188.211.196;
>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@mx.aol.com;
>        spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
> sender) smtp.mailfrom=cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org;
>        dmarc=fail (p=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=aol.com"
>

> I'm no expert on dmarc, but that looks to be the source of the pain.

Yes. Basically AOL is saying that classiccmp.org should not send mail out
where the "From:" address is AOL.  They're probably in the wrong but it can
be worked around by having the mailing list set the From/Sender to be
classiccmp, but change the Reply-To to be the original From unless there is
already a Reply-To.  I used to play these frustrating games with Listserv,
not sure if they're possible with this system.  The reason other people
don't have the same problem is that most people's domains are not so
fascist as to insist that their From address is not used in this way.