Membership disabled due to bounces

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 23:05:08 CST 2016

On 11/23/2016 8:00 PM, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016, Michael Brutman wrote:
>> Gmail routinely marks these emails as spam.  And Gmail clearly says: " It
>> has a from address in aol.com but has failed aol.com's required tests for
>> authentication."
>>
>> Digging deeper into the header one finds:
>>
>> "Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
>> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
>> sender) client-ip=199.188.211.196;
>>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@mx.aol.com;
>>        spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
>> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
>> sender) smtp.mailfrom=cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org;
>>        dmarc=fail (p=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=aol.com"
>>

>> I'm no expert on dmarc, but that looks to be the source of the pain.
>
> Do we have any evidence that his messages are affecting the rest of us,
> though?

I get disabled regularly. My address is at Yahoo.  Currently I'm sitting at 2.0 out of 5.0 for my bounce score.  The previous disabled messages came at:

11/20/2016
11/06/2016
10/25/2016
10/18/2016
10/13/2016
10/05/2016
09/26/2016
09/10/2016
08/23/2016
08/11/2016
08/06/2016
08/01/2016
07/19/2016
07/10/2016
07/01/2016

A fairly uneven distribution.  None repeating sooner than 5 days and sometimes taking up to 18 days before hitting the 5.0 bounce limit.

I was thinking of changing my email to another provider even though I've had this one for at least 12 years.  But if it's because of a configuration problem, then other providers may react the same way so will it do any good?

John H. Reinhardt