A good shipping service for large computers?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Nov 26 10:05:09 CST 2016

    > From: Todd Goodman

    > Did you have any issues with customs bringing in the racked equipment
    > from Toronto?

No; it just sailed right through. The fact that it was Canada->US probably
helped.

IIRC PakMail in Toronto picked a customs broker - or maybe we were talking
about doing that, and he decided we needn't bother? I forget now.

    > Both times the carrier knew it was unpalleted computer equipment and
    > did a good job using blankets and strapping them into the trucks.
    > The other carrier did a great job .. They mostly ship antiques and
    > pianos and other items that can be fragile and not palleted
    > Both were very competitively priced in my experience.

Sounds like these were both so-called 'white glove' shippers, who do things
like furniture, etc.

Those are also an option, but in my experience, somewhat more expensive: when
I was shipping a pair of -11/84's from California to Virginia, the shipping
cost just about doubled when I had to switch from freight to 'white glove' for
them. Hence my advice to palletize stuff, and send it freight (at least for
cross-continent, where the difference really adds up).

	Noel