Picked up Commodore Amiga 2000

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Oct 4 23:58:38 CDT 2016

Congratulations on rescuing the 2000! I wanted one pretty badly when I was working in an Amiga dealership in the late 1980s, but had a 1000. I still don't have a 2000, but I've scratched that itch with a 3000 that I got a couple years ago. I still have my old 1000, but haven't powered it up for a very long time. It's overdue for a cleaning-up and resurrection.

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 21:32, TeoZ <teoz at neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Anyway the XT and 286 Bridgeboards are not that expensive but anything faster sure is.

The Bridgeboards were indeed an odd kludge. I don't remember if we actually sold any in the store I worked in, but I think we had at least one installed in an Amiga 2000 for demo purposes.

I quit looking for Bridgeboards over a year ago when eBay and I started seeing other people, but at the time I had little luck finding any. I wouldn't mind having any working Bridgeboard to try out in my Amiga 3000 just for kicks, but I wouldn't expect it to be of much practical use. So if there's a hidden source of cheap XT and 286 Bridgeboards out there, I might like to acquire one. Devin would get first dibs on any that turn up, of course.

I do have something vaguely Bridgeboard-esque: I have one of the SunPCi cards in my Sun Ultra 60. I think I set up DOS and NT virtual disks for it, but I haven't found any practical use for it. It's just a neat example of the wacky things that were kludged together for folks such as engineers who needed a UNIX workstation for their main job, but also needed access to a PC for things like Word. Now that I think of it, I haven't exactly found a practical use for the Sun it's installed in, either. :)

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/