Blown Tantalum Capacitor Advice

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 8 05:18:47 CDT 2016

I have an RD53 disk drive. When I plugged it in the other day something blew
up, smoke etc. I found that it was a tantalum capacitor on the motor control
board that had gone. I suppose I am wondering if just replacing it is a good
idea, could the failure be a symptom of another problem, could it have
damaged something else? I realise that without a schematic it may be
difficult to comment, but I suppose it is more a question about what can
cause these caps to fail?

If anyone has a schematic, or a drive they can examine, it is C1 on the
motor control board, quite close to the molex socket for power.

Regards

Rob